Last updated: 21 June 2023
We know that your personal information is important to you and we are committed to ensuring it is kept secure and used carefully. Below you will find a short summary of how and why we collect your data, who we share it with, and what we’re doing to make sure your data is safe and secure. You will also find details of your privacy rights.
What does Pangaea do?
Pangaea is a privately owned company based in Ireland. We provide insight and advice on overseas real estate. We are part of a group of companies.
What personal information does Pangaea collect and why?
We collect information in order to allow us to provide the services you request from us, and to personalise and improve your experience of our services, Websites, and communications with you. All such information is held on secure servers. We only use personal data you have given us, that International Living Publishing Limited (International Living) has shared with us, or that we have collected from you when you visit our Websites and order forms. We do not sell your personal information to third parties. We sometimes share your personal information with third parties, but only to provide the services you have requested from us or to improve your experience with us and make our business more responsive to your interests and/or those of like-minded individuals or when you have specifically requested that we do so (such as when you fill in a form requesting more information on a particular real estate opportunity). We never release your personal information to others for their mailing or marketing purposes. We may also gather additional information about you that is publicly available to personalise and improve your experience of our services, Websites, and communications with you. The personal information that we may collect about you broadly falls into three categories:
- Information that you provide
We may ask you to provide personal information in order to provide our services to you.
We may also share personal information that you provide to third parties. This may be to improve your experience with us, to help us provide the services you requested, or reach like-minded individuals that may be interested in our products.
Sometimes, you have specifically requested that we do this.—For example, if you want more information on a particular real estate opportunity that we write about, you can fill in your personal information on an online form provided and hosted by Pangaea. If you do so, that personal information is automatically passed to Pangaea’s Salesforce CRM database, and from there, it is passed automatically to the real estate agent or developer that you are requesting more information from. Similarly, if you connect with us via email or through the Real Estate Trend Alert Concierge, requesting information on a specific real estate opportunity or a real estate market, we will pass your query and personal information to the real estate agent and/or developer covering that opportunity/market.
The personal information you are asked to provide, and the reasons why you are being asked to provide it, will be made clear to you at the point you are asked to provide it.
- Information provided by International Living
When you sign up to International Living’s e-letter “Real Estate Trend Alert”, we are provided with your personal data, including your subscription and signup information.
We collect this information so we can provide tailored editorial about real estate opportunities and to improve our service offering.
- Information that we collect automatically
When you visit our Websites and order forms, we may collect certain information automatically from your device.
The data we collect may include information like your IP address, device type, unique device identification numbers, browser type, and other technical information. We may also collect information about how your device has interacted with our Website or order form, including the pages accessed and links clicked.
We collect this information so we can better understand the visitors who come to our Websites and look at our order forms and what content may be of interest to them. Using the information allows us to improve the quality and relevance of our Websites and services.
Who does Pangaea share my personal information with?
We may disclose your personal information to the following categories of recipients:
- To reputable third-party service providers who provide additional data processing services, for example, analysing data, providing marketing assistance, and assisting with the processing of credit card and direct debit payments and International Living Limited (based in Waterford, Ireland) the publisher of Real Estate Trend Alert. They have access to personal information needed to perform their functions, but may not use it for other purposes. In addition, they must process the personal information in accordance with this privacy notice and as permitted by applicable data protection laws. A list of these providers along with a short summary of the services they provide can be found here:
- Salesforce.com EMEA Limited: when you request more information on a real estate opportunity and fill in your personal information on one of our online forms, that information is passed to Pangaea’s Salesforce CRM database, and from there it is automatically passed to the real estate agent or developer offering that real estate opportunity;
- Real Estate Agents & Developers that work with Pangaea: As above, when you request more information on a real estate opportunity, Pangaea will pass that information (via our Salesforce CRM database or via email) to the real estate agent or developer concerned.
- Facebook.com, Google.com & Instagram.com: For advertising purposes, we occasionally use information about our customers to generate a “lookalike audience”, a similar audience of prospective customers on Facebook, Google, or Instagram. This allows us to target advertisements to potential customers on Facebook, Google, or Instagram who appear to have shared interests or similar demographics to our existing customers. We do this by uploading a list of email addresses to Facebook, Google, or Instagram, and encrypting them before we upload. Facebook, Google, or Instagram will match the data against their own customers and generate a lookalike audience. The uploaded list is then deleted (not used for any other purpose). If you wish to opt out of our use of your data to create “lookalike audiences” on Facebook, Google, or Instagram, please email: email@example.com.
- To any competent law enforcement body, regulatory, government agency, or similar other third parties where we believe disclosure is necessary(i) as a matter of applicable law or regulation, or (ii) to exercise, establish or defend our legal rights; and
- To any other person with your consent.
Legal basis for processing personal information
Our legal basis for collecting and using the personal information described above will depend on the information concerned and the context in which we collect it. We will normally collect personal information from you where:
- We need the personal information to perform a contract with you (for example, your email address when you subscribe to a free or paid service);
- The processing is in our legitimate interests and not overridden by your rights;
- We have your consent to do so (for example, to receive information from a real estate agent or developer on a real estate opportunity); or
- We need the personal information to comply with our legal obligations (for example, our tax and audit requirements and other regulatory obligations)
If we collect and use your personal information in reliance on our legitimate interests, this will normally be to operate and improve our services, Websites, and communications. It would also include responding to your queries, undertaking marketing, or detecting or preventing illegal activities. We may have other legitimate interests and, if appropriate, we will make clear to you at the relevant time what those legitimate interests are.
How does Pangaea keep my personal information secure?
We use appropriate technical and organisational measures to protect the personal information that we collect and process. The measures we use are designed to provide a level of security appropriate to the risk of processing your personal information. Where we share data with third parties, we ensure that your data will be kept secure and will not be provided or sold to another party.
International data transfers
Your personal information may be transferred to, and processed in, countries other than the country in which you are resident. These countries may have data protection laws that are different from the laws of your country (and, in some cases, may not be as protective).
Specifically, some of our group companies and third-party service providers operate in the United States and elsewhere around the world. This means that when we collect your personal information we may process it in any of these countries.
We retain personal information we collect from you where we have an ongoing legitimate business need to do so (for example, to provide you with a service you have requested or to comply with applicable legal, tax, or accounting requirements).
When we have no ongoing legitimate business need to process your personal information, we will either delete or anonymise it or, if this is not possible (for example, because your personal information has been stored in backup archives), then we will securely store your personal information and isolate it from any further processing until deletion is possible.
Your data protection rights
You have the following data protection rights:
- If you wish to access, correct, update, or request the deletion of your personal information, you can do so at any time by contacting us using the contact details provided under the “How to contact us” heading below. We may not be able to delete your personal information if we have to retain it in order to comply with our legal obligations, to perform a task carried out in the public interest, to establish, exercise or defend any legal claims, or to exercise our right of freedom of expression and information.
- In addition, you can object to the processing of your personal information, ask us to restrict the processing of your personal information, or request portability of your personal information. Again, you can exercise these rights by contacting us using the contact details provided under the “How to contact us” heading below.
- You have the right to opt out of communications we may send you at any time. You can exercise this right by contacting us using the contact details provided under the “Contact” heading below.
- If we have collected and processed your personal information with your consent, then you can withdraw your consent at any time. Withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing we conducted prior to your withdrawal, nor will it affect the processing of your personal information conducted in reliance on lawful processing grounds other than consent.
- You have the right to complain to a data protection authority about our collection and use of your personal information. For more information, please contact the Data Protection Commission (“DPC”).
We respond to all requests we receive from individuals wishing to exercise their data protection rights in accordance with applicable data protection laws.